Tou No Madoushi - Chapter 61

Episode 61: Lynn and Sheila's Office Time

 

The next day Lynn and Sheila started working in the same office together.

 It seemed to be true that Sheila had been working in an office-based job.

 After Lynn taught her a few things, she quickly got the hang of things and learned to do things on her own that Lynn had not taught her.

 By the end of the day, she was able to handle most of the chores.

“It was a big help. I couldn't have done it all by myself.”

“You're just not very good at it. Give it to me. I can do it more efficiently this way.”

 Sheila used her fairy magic to finish the job in half an hour instead of the hour it took Lynn.

(As expected of a high class mage.)

 Lynn was impressed with Sheila and relieved to be free from the excessive workload.

 He was able to leave the office that day while the light of the sun was still bright.

“Thank you very much for your time today. I look forward to working with you again tomorrow.”

“Yes. Anyways, where is Theo? He didn't show up at the office.”

“Theo is concentrating on his work outside the office, so I think he will be back late this evening and just go to bed.

“Damn. He should show up at the office at least a little bit. He's probably slacking off and forcing us to do his work for him.”

“What? That's not true.”

 Lynn knew that Theo was a hard worker, so he denied it.

“What? You're so protective of Theo.”

“I'm not defending him, he's....... I'm just telling you the truth.”

“Oh, is that so? Well, okay.”

 Sheila seemed to be unconvinced.

 That was how Lynn and Sheila parted ways for the day.

 Lynn enjoyed the time to himself that he hadn't had in a long time.

(Phew. I'm glad. If I can keep this up, I'll be able to go to the tea party I promised Yuwen for the weekend.)

After the tea party at Illywia's went well, Yuwen began to take Lynn to the tea parties she attended.

 She seemed to be more considerate than expected, and as a way to “pay back the debt,” she makes Lynn attend the tea parties she often attends.

 This seemed to settle the matter and everything seemed to be going well.

 On the second day, however, Sheila immediately began to complain.

“Lynn. We're done here. What are you going to do next?”

“Oh, yes. I'll send the invoice to the commercial association at .......”

“I'm done with that, too.”

(That was fast.)

 Lynn was at a loss. There was no other work that can be assigned to Sheila for today.

“Well, can you do something else for me? Something like dusting or organizing papers.”

“Instead of doing that, why don't you let me do that job you're doing now?”

 Sheila tried to take Lynn's papers from him.

“Oh, not this one.”

Lynn quickly hid the document in his hand. It was regarding the operation of the elevator.

I cannot give this information to Sheila because it is a trade secret.

Sheila looked at Lynn with a jittery look in her eyes.

“That's okay. I don't know how you guys are able to purchase goods so cheaply. I've done a similar job in Renril. But you guys buy at much lower prices than the general prices in Renril.”

“Well, that's a trade secret.”

Sheila looked at Lynn with another jittery look in her eyes.

“You're getting cocky, just like Theo.”

That's all Sheila said, and then she went back to work.

“It's a really unbelievable price, though. Theo must be doing something really shady. Lynn, you can't stay with Theo's bad activities all the time. You should part ways with your dangerous friend as soon as possible.”

“No, that's not... we're trading within the legal limits. We're not doing anything wrong.”

“No, he must be up to something bad. I know it.”

“No, he's not!”

When Lynn said this, Sheila turned over in frustration.

Lynn was a little troubled. Sheila's image of Theo seemed to be getting worse by the day. He knew that she didn't really mean it either, but it pained Lynn to see that Sheila and Theo were not getting along.

On that day, that was all Sheila could do, and she quietly finished sorting out the paperwork.

 

The next day, Sheila's motivation was visibly decreasing.

She seemed lazy in everything she did, often taking breaks.

“Ms. Sheila, what's wrong?”

“Hmm? What?”

“No, you don't seem to having a good day today.”

“It's fine. I wouldn't have anything else to do even if I finished early anyway.”

“Yeah, well...”

Lynn felt uncomfortable.

I used to have trouble with too much work, but I guess that having nothing to do is just as hard.

“Hey, Ms. Sheila, I will be leaving early for today.”

“Huh?”

Sheila says in a loud voice.

“We haven't finished our work hours yet.”

“Yes, so Sheila, please continue as you are. When you're done, you can leave as you like. You know how to lock the office, right?”

“Where are you going, getting off work at this hour?”

“A little tea party at .......”

“Tea party huh........ I heard you were invited to the royal tea ceremony.”

“Yeah, but today I'm going to a different one.”

“Hmm. So you're just going to leave me all alone here. That's okay. Are you sure you want to do that? How do you know I won't cause any problems?”

“It’s okay. I trust you, Ms. Sheila.”

Sheila looked at me with a jittery look in her eyes. It was her signature gesture.

“Lynn. You've changed.”

“Is that so?”

“Yeah that’s right you’ve changed. Oh no. So, it’s true. Everyone changes when they get a little ahead in life.”

Sheila said sadly. It was obviously an exaggeration.

“You haven't been showing up at Renril's diner at all lately. Now that you're rich and can eat in Alfredo's expensive cafeteria, I guess you no longer need us.”

Sheila had this thing about her. It's like she's got a poverty mentality, where she makes it her highest virtue to always stay the same and expects others to do the same.

“No, that's not ......”

“Yeah, it happens. Theo, for example, blatantly ignored me when we passed each other at the school recently. That shit.”

(This little ....... Theo is your employer now, though.......)

“I've always taken such good care of you. The moment you became rich, you abandoned me.”

(Even if you say that ....)

After all the hard work of setting up the company and was freed from the issuance of factories and unskilled labour.

What was the point of moving to Alfredo if she had to go down to Renril all the time?

Lynn wanted to get Sheila in a good mood somehow.

“Anyways, Would you like to go to the Alfredo Central Theater with me next weekend?”

Sheila looked at Lynn with her characteristic eyes.

“It's an expensive theater. I can't afford it on my hourly wage.”

“I got tickets from a friend just the other day. Let's go with that.”

“Lynn. Do you really think you're going to make me feel better by doing that?”

Sheila said coldly.

“I feel pathetic, you know. I have to depend on you, a younger man, to pay my bills. I've fallen so low.”

“I understand. That’s too bad. I really wanted to go with Ms. Sheila, but I think this time I'll go with a girl from my class.”

“Wait, wait, wait. Stop right there. Who said I'm not going? Let's go.”

(Which is it?)

Lynn mentally shouted.

“But that theater has a strict dress code. I don't have anything that expensive.”

“Okay, I'll give it to you as a present.”

“No. I can't let you do that. You're younger than me, and I can't let you do that much.”

(What a pain in the ass!)

Lynn was getting a little fed up. Right now Lynn valued time, more than money. He didn't want to be bothered too much. After all, he had an appointment with Yuwen coming up.

“Then how about this? I have a women's dress that was given to me by one of my business partners. I don't have any use for women's clothing, so Ms. Sheila, could you please take that dress for me?”

Sheila exhaled and agreed.

“All right, then. Let's go with that.”

Lynn spent the day off buying tickets to the theater and looking for clothes that would suit Sheila.

 

Sheila didn't seem too happy about going to the theater with him. In fact, she seemed rather uncomfortable.

And at work, she was still as whiny as ever.

“Lorea Tax Collection Contracting Office. ....... These guys again. They're just too persistent. They keep sending the same letter over and over again. Lynn. You've got another letter from Lorea. Can I throw this away?”

"Oh, yes. No problem.”

Sheila burns the letter in a messy way.

The fire sparks flew to Lynn's desk.

Lynn quickly evaded the documents.

 

Sheila irritably pulled out an invoice.

“Tsk. You've got another client. More money coming in for that Theo prick. Goddamn. Oh, that's nice, Lynn. The more you work, the more you earn. I work by the hour, so I get paid the same no matter how much I work.”

“Well, let's see if we can get Theo to raise Ms. Sheila's salary, shall we?”

Sheila looks up when I say that.

“Lynn, you have no idea how I feel.”

(ughhhhh.... What the hell does this woman want? What do you want me to do?)

As expected, Lynn was getting fed up with Sheila.

Lately she'd been getting more and more involved with Lynn for no particular reason.

Ever since she had been so insincere in the past, Lynn had also divided up the work involved in the operation of the elevators to Sheila, to the extent that it did not interfere with the operation of the elevators.

I no longer left the office earlier than she did, and as she said, I had lunch with her at Renril to put her in a good mood.

 

In spite of this, she had always complained about Lynn and annoyed him in one way or another. Her neglect of her duties was getting worse and worse, to the point where it was starting to interfere with Lynn's work.

Lynn didn't know what on earth she was so unhappy about.

Apparently, she had more of a problem with Theo than with Lynn.

 

It was true that Theo may lack respect for Sheila, but she was also receiving a good salary thanks to Theo, so Lynn was hoping that she could make peace with that fact.

She would go on and on about Lynn, and then she would always conclude with a jab at Theo.

Anyway, Lynn had to somehow convince her to go to work. If she didn't, the expense of hiring a part-time worker would only increase and the work would be delayed.

 

Today she is doing the same thing over and over again.

"Oh my God, no matter how hard I work, the money always goes to that evil Theo. I'm never going to be rewarded. I can't do it.”

(She's repeating it again.......)

Lynn was disgusted.

(Hmm? Wait a minute.)

Lynn suddenly had an idea.

 

I remembered that Sheila was the only one who talked badly about Theo, but not once did Lynn say anything bad about him.

Lynn decided to make an attempt and say something bad about Theo.

“You know, I also think Theo is a terrible guy.”

“That's right! You see my suspicion was spot on.”

Sheila snapped at him with such ferocity. Her mouth was full of bad words about Theo. She was so happy to be able to talk about Theo to Lynn.

In fact, she seemed happier than she had ever been since she came to work here.

It was as if she had been granted some sort of immunity. Seeing this, Lynn knew that she had finally been able to say what she wanted.

“Oh, that's refreshing. Now let's get the rest of the work done quickly.”

Sheila was more focused than ever on her work. It was for Theo's company, which she hated.

Thanks to that, she was able to get a lot of work done that day. She was able to digest all the projects that had been piling up for days.

At the end of the day, she stretched out and said, "Oh, I worked a lot today."

"I've worked a lot today, haven't I? Lynn, let's get something to eat on the way home. I'll buy you a drink. Let's go to an expensive restaurant."

 

"Oh, yes. Thank you very much."

She was in a good mood.

(I see. Sheila-san wanted me to say bad things about Theo too?)

 

Later, Lynn talked to Theo about this.

He didn't want to talk about it as a tattle-tale, but simply as an interesting topic about human psychology. He wanted to hear Theo's opinion.

Theo grinned and said.

“What did I tell you? I told you it was no big deal.”

 

 

Next time: Episode 62, "Yuwen's Modest Meanness"


Ko-fi

Donate With Paypal

Patreon


 Previous | Index | Next

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

4 comments: